Thursday, July 3, 2008

July 6 - The Party's Over

MD
Week ending July 6, 2008
BLOG #2


July 6, Sunday:

I woke up thinking, "Never start a paragraph with a numeral! Uh-oh." I'd started one of my graphs (is that the lingo?) with "150" and I don't know why I didn't catch it with all the proofreading I did. Then I thought I should have said "boats on the river" instead of "in the harbor," since the Boston Harbor is in Charlestown. Still, I was so glad we had an extra day to write up the July 4 assignment. I spent 3 hours talking to people (on my bicycle with 2nd gear missing, putting on and taking off my rain poncho, carrying a little notebook and pen in my khaki army pants) and 4 hrs. writing the first draft from 26 pages of soggy notes and programs.

Background musings:

1. The Accident:

I realized that I was an eyewitness, more or less, to a breaking news story about a car accident, and my first reaction was to head toward it and see if police or other help was there and if everyone was OK. After that, I identified myself as a Harvard summer school journalism student and and showed them my Harvard ID. I wore that ID all day, thinking that it would give me an air of legitimacy. Perhaps it did, but one State Police guy ran away when they saw "the H bomb." Anyway, I talked to the young male driver of the car who was hit and the two women who were in the back seat with a baby. When I knocked on the back window (ballsy of me!) and asked if they were OK, the mom (I presume) said, "The baby was probably the safest of all of us," as she pointed to the backwards-facing baby seat. She did not want to give her name. (I don't blame her.) I did not talk to the driver of the truck, as the police were doing that and I didn't want to interfere, but I spoke to a DRC truck driver who was driving behind both cars and who pulled over to call the police. Everyone was saying the same thing: "He pulled a U-y from the middle lane! Idiot" or something like that.

Question: If I were the first one on the scene, I would for sure dial 911. I feel that I could have pressed further for people's names, ages, story, etc. but my assignment was a July 4th story, not an accident. An accident, by definition, is a surprise. My instinct was to go with the most important story, but in the end, this was a minor accident and I did not see it in the Globe the following day. I did call Cambridge Police on Saturday and they gave me a phone number to call on Monday if I wanted more information on the people involved. I did write down the two licence plate numbers.

If I were a "real reporter," would I have called my editor to ascertain whether or not I should switch stories? Or would I call the "accident beat" or a general news editor? How hard should I push for news if someone had been badly injured? Would I phone hospitals? How much information would be public? These questions are something I'm sure we will talk about in class.

2. The National Guard troops:

My gut reaction to police and military uniforms goes back to my days as an antiwar protesor in the early 70s. A dear friend and I talked over lunch yesterday about how horrible "we" (middle class, mostly white, educated protestors) acted toward the returning vets. I certainly never yelled "baby killer!" or any such thing, but our attitude was, "You should object or go to Canada or else you are a pawn of US imperialism!" Such entitlement we had. As for police, I can never forget watching kids' heads get bashed in in Harvard Square in 1971,n or heavily armed Tactical Police uniforms at various demonstrations in the 1970s. Once Kent & Jackson State happened (4 dead white kids, two dead black kids), I knew it was not a tea party.

As I talked to Lt. Col. Como, I watched the young men (and a handful of women) walking about behind him. So young, and so . . . dear. Instead of feeling judgmental toward them, I just felt angry that many of them had no other economic options and what they felt was "helping people" in occupied nations was decided at levels high above them for what I consider suspect motives. Not "freedom" but "oil and military bases." But it was not their fault, and they were so kind and sincere. Not to mention, Lt. Col. Como was a man I trusted somehow, with his engaging and seemingly-real smile. This was a far cry from how I felt when I was younger, and I had to admire these guards for their service.

It's not their fault that they haven't read alternative publications or worked with Howard Zinn and realized that their training to protect their buddy is also a means to a military end that was not "democratically" decided upon. This is my opinion, of course, and that's why it's in my blog and not my news article. I really had to try hard not to let my opinion in there, and I think I succeeded. Again, I had such respect for everyone I spoke with, especially Como and Pilo Chavez. On the other hand, I didn't include Pilo Chavez's comments about "lazy Americans who won't do the jobs the immigrants do, and just want to lie around and get welfare checks."

In sum, I really enjoyed talking to the guys in uniform, including the police, who razzed me a little bit about being "Harvard" and getting my facts straight. I had asked if the National Guards were headquartered at the Community Boating building (it had a boat on a sign) and they said, " "Hey, get the facts straight! It's the Lee Pool." The only reason I talked with the National Guard at all was the fact that it was raining and I took shelter under the Blossom St. overpass (near Mass. Eye and Ear). Most of the day, I talked with people who were near to wherever I took shelter from the drizzle. I have rarely written anything without inserting my opinon, except for meeting minutes. I've written book reviews, memoir pieces, and essays--which rely on my opinion. It's refreshing for me to write this sort of news piece, and I notice that as I get more information, my opinion changes. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

3. Globe Coverage the Next Day:

They stole my headline idea! A quote from an excited onlooker. Full disclosure: I removed the attribution (Pilo Chavez) from mine when I saw that they had delayed theirs. But reading the piece, I was aware of what was going on in the mind of the writer, noting the lede, the paragraphs, the quotes, and ending, and all of the things we had studied.

4. Random kvetches:

In another article on Saturday, the Globe referred to "busting up" a prostitution ring in its preview index. The word is "busting" (as in a dope ring) not "busting up," which to me would mean breaking tables and chairs. The piece used "busting" once but later used "busting up" the ring in Wellesley (!). I would have said "breaking up" or "busting." Can't help noticing these things, and they are probably of no interest to anyone else, much less the editor. I think it may be another generation gap thing. I know all about "busts." But I ain't tellin'.

In today's Sunday Globe, a small article talked about clean up, but there was no mention of the recycling stations that I read about in the Liberty Mutual program. I wonder if this was covered anywhere.

Last full disclosure: My dear friend (referred to above, who happens to be a prize-winning academic scholar), came for lunch yesterday, and gave me the idea of how to connect the accident to the piece. I told her I'd have to leave it out (many details were not included, of course) because it didn't relate to July 4. She said, "Yes is does and here's now." I hope that's allowed. I would imagine writers have friends and partners who contribute at times. What do others think about this? I am attributing here here, of course, so I'm not trying to claim the idea as my own.

I think I need a sign off for Mellowview. . . . so I'll try out a few as I go.

Bloggily yours,
Marcia



July 1:

Tuesday working in class with “Shabaz” (wish we had a list of class names so I can get spelling correct), I realize that a soft lead may not always be the best. Since I like personal stories, that’s how I wanted to start (innocent children playing in the summer vs. child prostitution). I will be more aware that clarity is as important as human interest.

I heard an obituary for Clay Felker on NPR last night. They said he helped originate the personal story as the lede. According to Mimi Sheraton, who worked with him and wrote a story in today’s New York Times, he told her, “More people care about finding a great brownie than about most world affairs. They can do something direct about the brownie, but not much about the rest.” Printed out her piece from the Times.

Interviewing techniques: I’ve done interviews, and been the object of them (like last Sunday afternoon), but I learned: don’t overdo tape recorders and/or notepads until a rapport has been established. Don’t accuse people directly; always ask how they think the public will perceive their reputation. Remember that until convicted, everyone is “alleged” to have done things, unless you have proof. Dress appropriately, or in a way that will enhance the trust of the person being interviewed. Don’t insert your own editorial comments, try to be a witness, not pundit. Keep all notes for a few weeks, keep them legible (this will be a challenge for me!), don’t transcribe tapes, as this can take hours and a two page piece with a fast deadline would not warrant it.

Thursday, July 3:

July 4th topic: I hear Dick Cheney is going to be in Boston Harbor, for a U.S. Constitution event on July 4th and I fantasize showing up and getting into trouble and spending too much time and energy for my own good. I make one call about Cheney, just for fun, and the young woman said, “I cannot give you any details. Perhaps you can call back later.” I’m sure Homeland Security has got things under control and I don’t want to mess with them.

After a conference with Jenifer M., I decide to ask people along the Esplanade about patriotism, in view of Michelle and Barack Obama’s comments (being proud of one’s country “for the first time” and not wearing a pin just for show. What is their definition of patriotism? How does it relate to this holiday?

Cleaning up the first assignment on the contemporary Native American Indian youth artists’ exhibit at the Peabody Museum. Some changes for clarity, historical accuracy, and better quotes.

No comments: