Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday blogs

A blog from Peter D. Kinder, a friend of mine who told me years ago to read his blog. He writes about ethical investment. Not the most exciting concern for me, but I was curious to see what he writes about. If you are interested, see below:


http://ethisphere.com/be-ethical-and-you-can-pay-your-employees-less/

Loved the Capote and the Susan Orleans pieces. It's more lush writing than news writing, but even when it's florid, it's not self conscious or calling attention to the writer. The writer is in there, but as a very faint point of view. The subjects are insane and fascinating! The kinds of people I'd love to visit but not live with. And each profiled person is a sort of flawed genius in his own way. I like that there's no judgement; the reader can judge. Even with the Evel Knieval piece, the writers seem to have affection for the rascals they interview. If you hate your subject, it will not make for uplifting reading. I don't mean to not be critical, but a writer cannot be motivated by an agenda, especially revenge or subconscious jealousy. There have been lots of tell-alls full of revenge, but they doesn't reflect well on "soul" of the writer.

I guess that is an opinion. But when I read a book reviewer that I trust (Sven Bikerts here at Harvard is one), I find they are of this type who puts principles over personalities. Why read something? Do you learn something? Does it expand your mind in some way, whether scientifically or ethically or geographically? I find that I cannot watch television (except for NPR news) these days. I'm too aware that some advertiser is manipulating me and that most evening shows depend on "schedenfreude"--feeling better by making fun of someone else, especially some "out group." I watch for kitsch value with friends, but that's just a simple cheap escape, which we all need. It's just that I don't need it more than a few hours a week.

If one is a parent, ah, one gets to read children's books and watch children's shows. That's why I like the "damamma.com" blog. Being a mother eats up time and puts the children's needs ahead of the mother's most of the time. But spending time with kids is real, not a false world manipulated by advertisers. The kids, that's another story--my grand nieces have all the Disney princess parapehalia and it makes me gag.

Another erudite observation . . .
Marcia

No comments: